Saturday, April 17, 2010

Today was interesting.

I was sitting in my cubicle at work, coding away. My boss was listening to a techno station with his door open. It wasn't bad stuff, so I was kinda' nodding along to it. Then a remix of Scott McKenzie's "San Francisco" came on. No sooner had I thought "huh, I'm going to San Francisco this summer... wonder if I should wear some flowers..." than my boss began singing along. Except a few of the lyrics were a bit different from how I remembered:

"If you're going to San Francisco
You're going to see Ryan with his band
When he gets back from San Francisco
He'll find his job has been given away!

"If you're going to San Francisco
You'll see Ryan on the sidewalk
In a cardboard box with a piano
Be sure to wave as you pass him in your car..."

Yeah.

Then later he said he'd told his wife about me and she'd said "kids these days just don't get it!"

"No, my good sir," I wanted to say, "it would seem to be you who does not 'get it.'"

Ah well.

"If you're going to San Francisco..."

3 comments:

  1. I feel like the sitcom that is my life had a brief cut-away moment to you sitting in your cubicle yesterday.
    Your boss is unbelievable.
    I'm sorry he's so obnoxious...but this story is hilarious. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your boss is kind of a jerk. Just because his hopes and dreams curled up and died doesn't mean he has to murder yours too. And you don't even play piano, he could at least pretend to care what instrument you actually play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He did come off that way at the time, yeah. I did stay with the job and since then I've gotten to know him a little better. He's actually a pretty good guy. His sense of humor is pretty much... well... exactly as I described it here. Now that I know him better though, I'm not sure if he would have acted the same way if he'd realized how much he was pissing me off.

    ReplyDelete