Sunday, April 4, 2010

Stress, drums, and weekend projects

Before I start, let me just say how stressed out I am. I am very stressed. In fact, I might just have to keep this post brief because right now there's a little voice in the back of my head saying: "What are you doing? You have two seven page papers and a presentation due next week and that's just for one of your classes, you have freelance work coming due and overdue, you have a rock tour to plan and market with just a month and a half to do it in, you have wedding music to learn, you have personal projects, and I'm sure there's something else I'm forgetting but don't worry, I'll remind you once it's too late to do it."

I'm stressed.

On the other hand I did make this over the weekend:



It does this:



And it glows too:



This is relevant to the shoestring tour, I swear! How? Well, how the heck are we supposed to keep a steady beat without a drummer? Okay, so we could use our internal sense of rhythm, but the audience can't hear that. Hopefully this thing will let us crank out beats and maybe thicken our sound up a bit too.

Of course, I still plan on converting that DDR pad into a gigantic foot operated electronic drum set. In case that doesn't work though, this'll give us a backup plan.

I'll get a build log for this thing up sometime tomorrow, cortisol willing. I don't actually know if it works yet so I hope I'll get a chance to test that out too. If it does, you'll get a video. If it doesn't, you'll get me griping.

[EDIT] This is me griping. I built this thing with the leftover IR LEDs from my multitouch table project, but unfortunately there were not enough to provide sufficient illumination for the camera. I'll try to find a way to get more illumination going and I'll make a new post once I've done so.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I can't believe you already made that thing. That's awesome. Can't wait to test it out!

    Good luck getting everything done. I know you can do it, just put on some Mika and pump everything out. And if you need any of the fun kind of coffee to combat your stress, you know my phone number :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, that thing is so cool! And the DDR dancepad drum set would be so legit! Do you like bad movies too, or is that just Lauren? Because if you haven't seen Hot Rod, it's a must-see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I definitely share Lauren's love for bad movies. I haven't seen Hot Rod, but I'll keep it in mind. :-)

    ReplyDelete